Skeletons are the most common enemy in Sea of Thieves. They spawn on islands and fortresses, and come out at both Day and at Night. When spawning, they crawl out of the ground.
Other Skeletons can come in different variations, giving them certain buffs and weaknesses, making the players time killing them either more challenging, or much easier.
- Plant Skeletons
- Notable features/attributes - Covered in plants; Stronger in the water; Take more damage from the Cutlass.
- Description: These Skeletons are a bit easier to fight compared to the other variants. They are covered with vegetation, such as bush leaves, seaweed, and vines. It is advised to keep these Skeletons away from water and avoid fighting them in the rain, as it buffs the Skeleton's health and makes the vegetation covering them grow acting as additional 'armor'. Cutlasses do much more damage against this variation as well. To this variant guns do reduced damage compared to other variants.
- Shadows Skeletons
- Notable features/attributes - Dark and Shadowy body structure with glowing eyes; Stronger in the dark; Weaker in the light.
- Description: These Skeletons are all black and very shadowy, hence their name. What is most notable about them is their favor of the darkness. When they're in the dark of any kind (night time, shade, caves), they become more powerful, allowing them to take much more damage before dying. They're weakness is the light, so it is highly recommended to engage these variants during the day. If that isn't an option, then shining a lantern on them can also help weaken them.
- Gold Skeletons
- Notable features/attributes - Covered in Gold; Water slows and weakens them; Cutlass does reduced damage.
- Description: These Skeletons are one of the more difficult ones to fight, as they're covered head to toe in items such as golden plates, gold coins, golden chalices, and even gold plating in general. These skeletons are much more resistant to damage from the Cutlass, but more susceptible to gunfire. Their major weakness is water, which causes them to slow down and take more damage from all weapons. It is recommended to lure these Skeletons to a pond or the shore of an island, instantly causing them to slow down. If that is not a viable option, then splashing them with water from a bucket will stun them in the same fashion, but only for a limited time.
- When encountering a group of armed Skeletons on a voyage or at a Fortress be cautious about how you take them out, all of them firing upon the player simultaneously can be very deadly.
- Skeletons can also be found shooting Cannons at the Player's Ship from Forts or Islands, when these Skeletons are encountered up close they either run off or stay and fight.
- As of patch 1.04 Skeletons have attire varying in color rather than the standard blue seen in the Beta. Colors include: Purple, Green, Red and Blue.
- Canons or Gunpowder Barrels can be very effective against large groups of Skeletons.